- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth, then mix in sugar and beat until creamy.
- Mix in egg, then vanilla extract, and beat until fluffy and lightened in color. 5-6 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, lemon zest, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix until a rough dough comes together. If needed, add a little more flour so dough isn’t sticky.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until chilled.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and use a tablespoon or ice cream scoop to scoop cookie dough. Roll dough between your hands to create balls, then transfer to lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are just starting to brown and pull away from baking sheet.
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool completely.
- To make icing: whisk together powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice until smooth. Add more or less powdered sugar depending on how thick you want your icing.
- Once cookies are cool, drizzle icing over them and let set before serving.