Dressing of onion
- 1/2 sweet onion (about 5 ounces)
- 3 Tbsp apple cider or champagne vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 heaped tsp creamy Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup oil such as grapeseed, olive, walnut
Divided vegetables and fruits
- 5 ounces butter lettuce hearts divided
- 1/2 cup divided ham (I used Black Forest)
- 1/2 cup divided turkey, I love smoked turkey
- 1/2 cup divided bacon
- 1/2 cup divided tomatoes
- 1/2 cup divided cucumber
- 1/2 cup divided hard boiled eggs, about 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup divided Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup divided cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup divided celery
- 1/2 cup divided carrots
- 1/3 cup divided red onion
for the dressing
- Remove the peel and cut the onion in large chunks. Add to the container of a high speed blender such as a Vitamix, along with the vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Blend until well pureed.
- Scrape down the sides of the container, and then, while the machine is running, slowly drizzle in the oil through a hole in the top. The dressing will become thick and creamy.
- Taste to adjust any of the seasonings. Keep refrigerated until needed. Note: this recipe makes more than you’ll need for this salad, keep the leftover in the fridge and plan to use within 2 weeks.
for the salad
- Put the lettuce in a large salad bowl and add each of the other ingredients. If you’d like to do a composed salad you can arrange them attractively in little piles around the lettuce, otherwise just dump them all in.
- Lightly dress and then toss the salad. Serve more dressing on the side.